Help for Those in Financial Need
Every year Fantasia Fair provides scholarships to those who would otherwise be unable to attend. The number varies; we give as many as we can afford. Over the years we have brought dozens of grateful people to Provincetown. For most, it’s their first time at a transgender conference, and for some it’s the first time to be among their peers. Some scholarship recipients have never appeared in public wearing the clothing that reflects their inner feelings and authentic selves.
Scholarship recipients return to their communities full of energy and new knowledge and share this information with their peers. Many have gone on to become leaders in local and national trans and gender-nonconforming communities, and those who do become leaders acknowledge the role Fantasia Fair played in their growth and self-acceptance.
Some scholarships are for one-half week, and some for the full Fair. Scholarships include a waiver of registration fees and shared lodging (up to seven nights). Recipients are full and valued participants in Fantasia Fair, eligible for all meals, workshops, events, and activities. Recipients are responsible for their own transportation, but in many cases they are able to find rides to Provincetown with attendees who live close to them. This can be done through the FaceBook Fantasia Fair Discussion Group. The group is a great place to make friends and ask questions.
We do not publicly disclose the identity of scholarship recipients. The last thing we would like to go is to embarrass those we are trying to help. If you receive a scholarship and wish to tell others, that’s fine with us, but we will keep your status in confidence.
Fantasia Fair does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity, nationality, age, disability, genetics, religion or creed, sex, gender identity or presentation. We encourage couples to apply.
Applicants will need to submit an application in which they must demonstrate financial need and disclose their personal reasons for wanting to attend Fantasia Fair. The better you are able to state your financial need and your reasons for wanting to attend, the better your chance of getting a scholarship, so please put some effort into your application.
Scholarships are awarded based upon the judgement of our Scholarship Committee. The application will be seen only by the members of the committee.
- Have a financial need
- Must have submitted a scholarship application by the submission deadline
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, be accompanied by a parent, or have parental permission
- Agree to a telephone interview
- The file you submit must include your name and the words Scholarship Application
Applications must be received no later than July 15
Be sure to include your contact information!
- The applicant must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above
- The applicant must submit a scholarship application which describes such things as why they want to come to Fantasia Fair and how their financial situation prevents them from otherwise attending
- The scholarship application must be filled out accurately and completely
- All scholarship-related material must be received no later than the stated submission deadline
- Following the submission deadline, the Fantasia Fair Scholarship Committee will evaluate all submissions and select which applicants are to be offered scholarships
- Applicants must submit to a telephone interview
- Applicants offered a scholarship will be notified on or about August 15
- Applicants offered a scholarship must notify the Scholarship Committee of their acceptance within 2 weeks or risk forfeiture of that scholarship
- In the event that an applicants who is offered a scholarship is not able to attend Fantasia Fair or declines the scholarship, another applicant may be awarded that scholarship
Fantasia Fair Scholarships
P.O. Box 293
East Bridgewater, MA 02333